Below are SoyHialeah’s “Save our Youth” GOALS FOR 2015
1. We are working on having all of our 15 Hialeah Parks supervised on Saturdays and Sundays, with access to the restrooms. Today, every park in Hialeah has the restroom closed during the weekends, and all the kids are without staff supervision in the facilities.
As sex trafficking and other crimes are on the rise, we need to work together to bring back supervision to our parks on the weekends.
2. Return Hialeah Soccer Club to Wilde Park. Wilde Park was converted to a Youth Soccer facility ten years ago. In the last four years we have been without a Youth Soccer Club.
3. Return low cost and free summer programs to all the parks in Hialeah. The summer camp that is provided today costs $65.00 per week. This cost is not affordable to 95% of the Hialeah community. Today, some parks have a partial summer program, and the rest of the parks only make the field and recreation room available. Staff has been cut by 50%, field trips are highly restricted, arts/crafts and ceramics have been eliminated. Popular activities like kickball, guard-the-pin and other pick-up games are not possible due to the lack of staff. HENCE, SUMMER ATTENDANCE HAS DECREASED BY 75%
4. Increase the number of operating hours at our pools, and increase the number of swimming classes available. Pool hours and swim classes have been reduced by 75% in the last seven years.
5. Bring programs to our libraries. We are working on starting regular homework assistance classes in all of our libraries, every day of the week. The parks used to offer homework assistance, but because of the cutting of staff hours, homework assistance has been eliminated from all Hialeah parks. We would also like to start computer classes for kids and adults.
This will be possible when we hire full-time, accredited librarians to work in all the libraries. Today, all E-Libraries have part-time staff who are not trained or qualified to teach students.
6. Eliminate restrictions on participation. Today, only the first 13 kids per age group per park are allowed to participate. This does not allow a majority of kids to participate. In the past, the City of Hialeah has never placed restrictions on participation.
7. Return baseball to all 15 parks. Today, only 5 parks offer baseball.
8. Allow our youth to participate in a 12 game season. Today, the sports season is only 6 games.
9. Return sports programming for the older girls (14-18 years old). Their program has been eliminated.
We can make these changes we seek by getting involved and participating in the solution!